We are looking for graduate students and alumni to join the Let’s Talk Science volunteer base at the University of Toronto (St. George). Faculty and undergraduates are also welcome to get involved. Just follow these easy steps:
1) Register on the volunteer portal system. This will add you to our volunteer mailing list and you will receive emails about available classroom visits and on-campus events for which you can volunteer.
2) Attend a mandatory Volunteer Outreach Training session. Once you have completed training and two classroom visits you will earn 3 Graduate Professional Skills credits as part of Introduction to Science Outreach offering (learn more here).
3) Visit our Volunteer Only section to view a list of upcoming events needing volunteers and select the event that interests you.
4) Fill out an event request form online (in the Volunteer Only section) to volunteer for your event of choice by filling out. Make sure to check out our list of ready-to-go activity kits to see if any of them match up with the topic requested by the educator. This saves you time in preparing for your visit. You can also feel free to get creative and develop your own activity!
5) We will reply to you and put you in contact with the educator so you can finalize the details of your visit (date, time, etc.). We always pair up newer volunteers with those that have more experience so you never feel overwhelmed.
6) Attend the activity and don’t forget to log your hours on the portal system. This is how we keep track of volunteer hours!