Update September 28 2023: Let’s Talk Science has resumed all in-person outreach and volunteer activities since January 2023 following the COVID-19 lockdown.
We are always looking for undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni volunteers to join our Let’s Talk Science team at the University of Toronto (St. George). Faculty and staff are also welcome to get involved. Just follow these easy steps:
1) Register on the volunteer portal. This will add you to our volunteer mailing list and you will receive emails about upcoming training sessions, classroom visits, and on-campus events.
2) Attend a mandatory volunteer outreach training session.
3) After training, visit our Volunteers Only section (all pages are password protected – password provided during training) to view a frequently updated list of upcoming volunteer opportunities and select the event that interests you.
4) Fill out the Volunteer Event Signup Form (in the Volunteers Only section) OR email firstname.lastname@example.org with your volunteering preference(s). Many educators select from our list of prepared activity kits for which we provide detailed facilitator manuals and all of the necessary materials. Some educators may request topics outside of these kits – we are happy to work with you to develop an interactive presentation with creative, hands-on activities!
5) You will receive an email confirming your activity and connecting you with the educator so you can finalize the details of your visit (date, time, etc.).
6) Complete the visit and don’t forget to log your hours on the volunteer portal. This is a crucial step that allows us to track volunteer hours and evaluate our site’s impact each year!
*NOTE: Once you have completed training and two classroom visits you are eligible to earn 3 Graduate Professional Skills credits in the Communication Skills or Teaching Competence skill areas (learn more here).